Thursday 8 May 2008

Alas My Friends, It's Time to Fly - Final Blog

I'm probably one of the oldest in the group, and being female it wouldn't do to disclose my age (oh alright, I'm 47). I was taking Creative Writing and Psychology, but if everything pans out, I'll be changing to Philosophy with Creative Writing from September. 'Being Bad' is a really good companion module for CPW, giving insight into the more risque side of life and different perspectives on behaviour.



Each element of the module demands its own level of thought. On the whole though, I think it is an appropriate level as an introduction to transgressive behaviour. It would have been good to have a session on binge drinking though (very relevant at the moment).



The sessions were well constructed, informative and thought provoking. The module team were great - and showed a great deal of patience with those who thought the sessions were a 'chat room'. The balance between discussions, debate and talk from lecturers was spot on.



Being an interdisciplinary module it draws on a range of perspectives on any given subject. It opens the topics up in a far broader sense, so this type of approach to teaching is good. I've certainly gained a lot from this module, and it would be good to see other modules of this type in future. I am planning on taking PH2004 at level two. I'd recommend 'Being Bad', a few people I've spoken to in Psychology wish they could have taken this module.



I'd never done blogs before this module, but once I got used to them - they could have become addictive! It's an excellent way of seeing what other people think about the subjects covered. With all the best will in the world, there would never be enough time in the lectures to cover everyone's opinions, so this gives people a forum to voice their ideas (especially if they're shy about speaking out, like me).


I would have preferred it if the assignments could have had more words allowed (say 1000?), especially in the ones where you had 300 for the creative piece and 300 for the rationale.


I think the most important lesson I've learned from this module is that Philosophy is a more relevant subject to Creative Writing than Psychology is. 'Being Bad' has taught me that there are even more greyer areas in life than you first think. The only time I thought was wasted was when the rudeness of some students held up lectures, and them having to be reminded so many times that they weren't in the school playground.









No comments: