Monday 3 March 2008

BLOG-BUSTER!!


After looking at quite a few suggestions of where to go on our field trip, the general consensus seems to be a toss-up (no connection there to last Thursday's session!) between Amsterdam and a pub crawl. I may be wrong, but I doubt that the university would condone a hundred marauding students rampaging around Wolverhampton in various stages of drunkenness.
I don't judge people on their individual choice as to whether they drink or not, but it isn't for me. I have my own personal reasons for not wanting to be a part of a binge drinking session - whether it's done in the name of research or not.
I make no big secret of the fact that I had a serious drink problem, and having been 'dry' for three years (the 2nd March was my 'anniversary'), I certainly don't want to revisit that particular area of life. I've seen first hand the damage that alcohol can do; not only to health but also to relationships. I'm almost certain that if it wasn't for a very understanding and patient counsellor, I wouldn't be here today to tell the tale. That may sound over dramatic, but I seriously believe it's true.

Having worked fairly closely with the drug & alcohol services, it seems pretty safe to say that the trend is leading to drink problems of epidemic levels. The accessibility of booze is beyond belief, with an offie on almost every street. The smoking ban in pubs is driving people to stock up with cheap beer from the supermarket and drink at home. The 'drinking population' is getting younger, and that's worrying.

I'm not a prohibitionist, I don't think alcohol should be banned, and I certainly don't want to spoil peoples' enjoyment of a few drinks out with their mates etc. I think most people can do that as a social activity with no problems; but I also know that I can't. With me it's all or nothing, and I've opted for the nothing. I'll get down off my alcoholic soap box now and go find something else to prattle on about.

1 comment:

Kimberley said...

Hello,
Just thought i would congratulate you on three years of being 'dry' as you put it.
Also for the work you have done with drug and alcohol, you didnt go into it but it is always good to be aware and turn a negative into a positive.
I myself used to suffer with an eating disorder, and now do voluntary talks with young people who are now in the place i was a few years ago.
I think you ae right regarding the consequences of the role alcohol is playing in our society. Many of he topics we have discussed during Being Bad so far, have been closely linked/ lead back to alcohol issues.
Kimberley